Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

468 records – page 2 of 24.

London & Port Stanley Railway- Freight motor L1 leaves London's CN interchange with a few box cars on the short run south to St. Thomas, November 11, 1965

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives123935
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
November 11, 1965
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Creator
Heritage Port, Port Stanley
Description Level
File
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
November 11, 1965
Publication
Postcard is part of a set of ten postcards published ca. 2013 by Senton Incorporated. The images used are from the collection of Robert Weare.
Physical Description
1 postcard
Scope and Content
London & Port Stanley Railway- Freight motor L1 leaves London's CN interchange with a few box cars on the short run south to St. Thomas, November 11, 1965. L1 was built by G.E. (Erie Works) in 1915 and retired in 1967 when new owner CN de-electrified the line.
Name Access
London (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Images

London & Port Stanley Railway- An interior photo of the Jewett Car Co. of Newark, Ohio, motor car L & PS Ry. at the Halton County Radial Railway Museum in Rockwood, ON.

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives123936
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
April 2001
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Creator
Heritage Port, Port Stanley
Description Level
File
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
April 2001
Publication
Postcard is part of a set of ten postcards published ca. 2013 by Senton Incorporated. The images used are from the collection of Robert Weare.
Physical Description
1 postcard
Scope and Content
London & Port Stanley Railway- An interior photo of the Jewett Car Co. of Newark, Ohio, motor car L & PS Ry. at the Halton County Radial Railway Museum in Rockwood, ON. This motor car is part of the even numberer series 2 to 14. Numbered date April 2001. Photo by Robert Weare.
Name Access
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Images

London & Port Stanley Railway- Freight motor L1 pauses at the small passenger shelter at Union, that Port Stanley Terminal Rail Inc. operates over the old L & PS Railway.

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives123937
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
August 2, 2004
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Creator
Heritage Port, Port Stanley
Description Level
File
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
August 2, 2004
Publication
Postcard is part of a set of ten postcards published ca. 2013 by Senton Incorporated. The images used are from the collection of Robert Weare.
Physical Description
1 postcard
Scope and Content
London & Port Stanley Railway- Freight motor L1 pauses at the small passenger shelter at Union, that Port Stanley Terminal Rail Inc. operates over the old L & PS Railway. Built by G.E> (Erie Works) in 1915 and now owned by the St. Thomas-Elgin County Railwway Museum. After restoration, the L & PS L1 is enroute to the Port Stanley station for the August 1, 2004 weekend. Photo by Rob Sterne.
Name Access
London and Port Stanley Railway
Union (Ont.)
Subject Access
Railways
Images

London & Port Stanley Railway- Freight motor L & PS Ry L1, Champion Oils/ Sterling Fuels tank car HJMX 6002.

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives123939
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
August 2004
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Creator
Heritage Port, Port Stanley
Description Level
File
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
August 2004
Publication
Postcard is part of a set of ten postcards published ca. 2013 by Senton Incorporated. The images used are from the collection of Robert Weare.
Physical Description
1 postcard
Scope and Content
London & Port Stanley Railway- Freight motor L & PS Ry L1, Champion Oils/ Sterling Fuels tank car HJMX 6002. Part view of Port Stanley Terminal Rail Inc. PSTR 62 coach converted from a CNR metal caboose. Shown at the PSTR, Port Stanley station displayed for August 1, 2004 weekend. Photograph by Robert Weare.
Name Access
London and Port Stanley Railway
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Subject Access
Railways
Images

A photograph depicting the severance of the Canada Southern Railway and London and Port Stanley Railway tracks near the Canada Southern Railway Station, December 1, 2009. This severed the link of the CASO between Toronto and Port Stanley.

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives123940
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
December 1, 2009
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
Accession Number
2013-37
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 152, File 20
R10 S3 Sh3 B2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
December 1, 2009
Publication
Postcard is part of a set of fourteen postcards published ca. 2013 by Senton Incorporated. The images used are from the collection of Robert Weare.
Physical Description
1 postcard
Scope and Content
A photograph depicting the severance of the Canada Southern Railway and London and Port Stanley Railway tracks near the Canada Southern Railway Station, December 1, 2009. This severed the link of the CASO between Toronto and Port Stanley. Individuals involved with the project include Mayor Cliff Barwick and Aldermans Bill Aarts, Lori Baldwin-Sands, Gord Campbell, Heather Chapman, Tom Johnston, Terry Shackelton and David Warden.
Name Access
London and Port Stanley Railway
Canada Southern Railway Station
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Railways
Images

London and Port Stanley Bridge

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives13335
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
C.W. Ellis fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1905
Storage Location
C3 Sh6 B1 F33 2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
C.W. Ellis fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C3 Sh6 B1 F33 2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1905
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w, sepia toned ; 20 x 24.5 cm on sheet 27 x 35 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph showing a wooden bridge belonging to the London and Port Stanley Railway. Overhead wires are visible. Mounted on cardboard with the caption "London & Port Stanley Bridge".
Name Access
Ellis, C.W.
St. Thomas (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges- railroad
Bridges
Photography
Images
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
C.W. Ellis fonds
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
graphic material
objects
Date Range
[190?]-1909
Storage Location
C3 Sh6 B1
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
C.W. Ellis fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C3 Sh6 B1
GMD
graphic material
objects
Date Range
[190?]-1909
Physical Description
263 photographs : b&w and col.
1 photograph album cover : 28 x 36.5 cm
History / Biographical
Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Custodial History
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.
Name Access
Ellis, C.W.
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Port Stanley (Ont.)
St. Thomas Camera Club
London and Port Stanley Railway
London and Port Stanley Toll Road
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Pere Marquette Railway
Subject Access
Photography
Automobiles
Bridges
Bridges- railroad
Business and Industry
Railways

Lake Erie & Detroit River Railway Passenger Train, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives151766
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1897
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F11
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-11
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F11
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1897
Publication
Posted on Facebook and Twitter: May 11, 2021.
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Lake Erie & Detroit River Railway passenger train disembarking passengers at Port Stanley beach, ca. 1897. The London & Port Stanley Railway leased its tracks to the Lake Erie & Detroit River Railway from 1894-1914. File includes:
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Lake Erie and Detroit River Railway Company
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Images

Port Stanley Main Beach

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives151917
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1922
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F18
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-18
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F18
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1922
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Port Stanley main beach, ca. 1922, looking southeast from Fraser Heights. View includes the London and Port Stanley Railway slip dock, ice house, tracks (with a passing passenger train), beach terminal, cafeteria and bathhouse (constructed 1917). View also includes Hopkins Casino dance hall (constructed 1909 and officially opened on July 1, 1909 under its original name, the Stanley Beach Casino), what may be a dredge operating at the harbour entrance, the west breakwater (pier) and lighthouse, the beach boardwalk, a water slide and elevated raft, and the access point for the incline railway. File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Port Stanley Beach
Hopkins Casino
London and Port Stanley Railway
Incline Railway (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Sports and Recreation
Railways
Images

Inner Harbour and Bridge, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152020
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1916
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F31
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-31
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F31
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1916
Publication
Posted on Facebook and Twitter: December 1, 2020.
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
View of the inner harbour and harbour bridge, Port Stanley, looking northwest, ca. 1910. View includes a few steam-powered fishing and pleasure boats, what appears to be a dredge scow (right), and the Main Station or Depot for the London and Port Stanley Railway. Houses or cottages are visible in the background on top of the hill behind the L & PS Station. The bridge shown in this photograph was removed in 1937 to allow for the construction of the King George VI Lift Bridge, which was officially opened in May, 1939. The fish tug that is pictured second-from-left (with the collapsed turtle at the stern and damaged starboard side) is the John R. Moore. She was built in 1911, and not fully turtled over for a few years after built, so photo would be 1915 or later. File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Port Stanley Harbour
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Fisheries
Fishing
Bridges
Railways
Images

Inner Harbour and Bridge, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152024
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F32
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-32
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F32
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
View of the inner harbour and harbour bridge, Port Stanley, looking southeast, ca. 1910. View includes the Main Station or Depot for the London and Port Stanley Railway. The bridge shown in this photograph was removed in 1937 to allow for the construction of the King George VI Lift Bridge, which was officially opened in May, 1939. The bridge across the ravine on Hillcrest is visible in the background as is the Purdom Cottage (located immediately to the south or right of the ravine bridge). File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Port Stanley Harbour
London and Port Stanley Railway
Hillcrest Inn, Port Stanley
Subject Access
Bridges
Railways
Images

Incline Railway and Observation Tower, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152030
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1880
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F33
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-33
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F33
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1880
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Incline railway powerhouse and observation tower, Port Stanley, ca. 1880. William Fraser built the incline railway in the 1870s to allow guests at the Fraser House hotel on Fraser Heights to conveniently travel to and from the main beach. The observation tower was built adjacent to the incline railway as an attraction for visitors. The incline railway was originally powered by a steam locomotive. It was purchased by the London and Port Stanley Railway and electrified in 1915. The incline railway ceased operating ca. 1963 when its open cars were deemed unsafe and the owners decided it was not cost effective to convert to closed cars. File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Incline Railway (Port Stanley)
Fraser Heights (Port Stanley)
Fraser House (Port Stanley)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Images

Incline Railway and Observation Tower, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152060
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1880
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F34
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-34
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F34
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1880
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Drawing depicting the incline railway and observation tower, Port Stanley, looking east, ca. 1880. William Fraser built the incline railway in the 1870s to allow guests at the Fraser House hotel on Fraser Heights to conveniently travel to and from the main beach. The observation tower was built adjacent to the incline railway as an attraction for visitors. The incline railway was originally powered by a steam locomotive. It was purchased by the London and Port Stanley Railway and electrified in 1915. The incline railway ceased operating ca. 1963 when its open cars were deemed unsafe and the owners decided it was not cost effective to convert to closed cars. View also includes the pedestrian walkway along the cliff top on Fraser Heights in front of the Fraser House hotel, Port Stanley main beach (at this time completely undeveloped), an early version of the west pier and lighthouse, and a schooner entering the harbour. This image has been copied from an unknown publication. File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Incline Railway (Port Stanley)
Fraser Heights (Port Stanley)
Fraser House (Port Stanley)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Port Stanley Harbour
Port Stanley Beach
Subject Access
Railways
Images

'M.C.R.R. Station, St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada'

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives14744
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Robert Moore Postcard Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Accession Number
2005-26
Storage Location
C6 Sh6 B2 F3 #34
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Robert Moore Postcard Collection
Creator
The Valentine and Sons Publishing Co., Ltd., Montreal and Toronto
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2005-26
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C6 Sh6 B2 F3 #34
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Publication
Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4311297527/in/set-72157623302116008/.
Physical Description
1 postcard : col. ; 9 x 14 cm
Scope and Content
A colour illustration of the Michigan Central Railroad Station, St. Thomas. Has a St. Thomas postmark dated September 9, 1910. Addressed to Mrs. J.W. Lumly of Iona Station, Ontario. Two rail cars belonging to either the St. Thomas Street Railway or London and Port Stanley Railway are visible in front of the station. Now the historic CASO Station.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
London and Port Stanley Railway
St. Thomas Street Railway
Canada Southern Railway Station
Subject Access
Railways
Images

Colour Illustration of Train Excursion to Port Stanley, 1872

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152148
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
textual records
Date Range
ca. 1872
Storage Location
Box 248, File 9
R11 S5 Sh3 B3
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 248, File 9
R11 S5 Sh3 B3
GMD
textual records
Date Range
ca. 1872
Publication
Posted on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter : August 2, 2021.
Physical Description
1 photograph : col.
Scope and Content
Photograph of a colour illustration by Bohuslav Kroupa published in the "Canadian Illustrated News" issue of July 6, 1872 and entitled "The Cheap Excursion: One Fare There and Back". Reproduced in Christopher Andreae, "The London and Port Stanley Railway" (1974), p. 12. The carriage shown in the drawing is marked "Port Stanley" and the illustration may show passengers boarding a London and Port Stanley Railway excursion train to Port Stanley.
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Art
URL Notes
Link directs to a Facebook post that features image ECVFB248F9. Published August 2, 2021.
Images
Websites / Street View

Fraser Hill, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152258
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1908
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F45
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-45
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F45
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1908
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Postcard image ca. 1908 with caption "Fraser Hill, Port Stanley". View includes the Fraser House hotel (opened on May 24, 1871) and lookout gazebo on Fraser Heights, as well as the Incline Railway powerhouse (or hoist house) and tracks. This image pre-dates the extension of the London and Port Stanley Railway tracks to the main beach in Port Stanley in 1897. File includes:
plastic negative (black and white)
glass lantern slide (black and white)
colour postcard
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Fraser Heights (Port Stanley)
Fraser House (Port Stanley)
Incline Railway (Port Stanley)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Hotels
Railways
Images

Pere Marquette Depot, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152292
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1906
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F49
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-49
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F49
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1906
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Postcard image produced ca. 1906 from a photograph taken in 1900 showing a north bound Pere Marquette Railway passenger train approaching the main Port Stanley station enroute to St. Thomas and London. View is looking south along the tracks from just north of Bridge Street, Port Stanley. The station house is visible at right (still standing in 2016 and used as its Port Stanley terminus by Port Stanley Terminal Rail) and, in the background, the grain elevator on the west side of Port Stanley harbour is partially visible. The original caption printed on the postcard has been cropped off: "Pere Marquette Depot, Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada". The station house and tracks belonged to the London and Port Stanley Railway, which leased its facilities to the Pere Marquette Railway from 1906 to 1914. File includes:
plastic negative (black and white)
glass lantern slide (black and white)
colour postcard
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Pere Marquette Railway
London and Port Stanley Railway
Port Stanley Terminal Rail
Subject Access
Railways
Images

Main Beach and Harbour Entrance, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152297
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1914
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F50
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-50
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F50
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1914
Publication
Posted to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter; May 21 2019
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
View of the main beach and harbour entrance at Port Stanley, looking southeast from Fraser Heights, ca. 1914. View includes the London and Port Stanley Railway slip dock and tracks to the beach terminal; the west breakwater (pier) and lighthouse; the Stanley Beach Casino (later Hopkins Casino), which opened on July 1, 1909; a pleasure boat docked at the Casino pier (possibly the vessel "Rambler" shown in C3 Sh6 B1 F44); and the beach boardwalk (constructed 1908). This image pre-dates 1915, when the London and Port Stanley Railway was electrified (overhead wires and electric stanchions are absent in this image), and pre-dates 1917, when the London and Port Stanley Railway Bath House was constructed. Note that the ferris wheel formerly located immediately to the east of the Stanley Beach Casino (see image C3 Sh6 B1 F44) is absent in this image. File includes:
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Port Stanley Beach
Port Stanley Harbour
London and Port Stanley Railway
Stanley Beach Casino
Hopkins Casino
Subject Access
Railways
Images

Port Stanley, Looking North from Hillcrest

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152371
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F58
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-58
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F58
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, September 3, 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/28900387844/in/dateposted-public/.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, January 4, 2017: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/32210834055/in/dateposted-public/.
Posted on Facebook: August 22, 2019.
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: February 2021: Image #2.
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
View of Port Stanley, ca. 1910, looking north from Hillcrest. View includes the original Port Stanley Town Hall (built 1877) on the east side of Main Street, with its distinctive front dometed turret; the Hotel Loney (later the Clifton Hotel); the London and Port Stanley Railway station at the intersection of Bridge and Carlow Streets, and a rail car on the tracks just north of the station; a building opposite the train station marked "Lakeside Pleasure Company Ltd" (later the Lakeside Fish Company); the bridge across the inner harbour (removed to make way for the King George VI Lift Bridge, which opened in May, 1939); Main Street, with tracks for the South-Western Traction Company (or its successor, the London and Lake Erie Railway and Transportation Company) visible; and numerous pleasure boats and fishing tugs. File includes:
Photograph print
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Hotel Loney (Port Stanley)
Clifton Hotel (Port Stanley)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Southwestern Traction Company
London and Lake Erie Railway and Transportation Company
Town Hall (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Railways
Hotels
Bridges
Municipal Offices
Images
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1912
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F62
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-62
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F62
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1912
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Black and white postcard, ca. 1912, showing the inner harbour at Port Stanley, looking southeast. View includes the bridge across the Hillcrest ravine and the Purdom Cottage (located immediately to the south or right of the ravine bridge); the original Port Stanley Town Hall on the east side of Main Street, constructed in 1877; the bridge across the harbour that was later removed to make way for the King George VI Lift Bridge (officially opened in May, 1939); a building at the western end of the bridge, on the south side of Bridge Street marked "Boat House"; and the London and Port Stanley Railway station and yards just north of Bridge Street. File includes:
Postcard
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Hillcrest Inn, Port Stanley
London and Port Stanley Railway
Port Stanley Harbour
Town Hall (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Hotels
Bridges
Railways
Municipal Offices
Images

468 records – page 2 of 24.