View of Port Stanley, Looking North from Hillcrest, ca. 1875. View includes the covered bridge along the route of the London & Port Stanley Railway (upper left corner), Batt's Hotel (constructed 1870, destroyed by fire in 1890) on the southwest corner of Main and Bridge Streets, what is now Colborne Street, Main Street, Christ Church Anglican church, the Payne House (built in 1873 by Port Stanley postmaster and customs officer Manuel Payne; now the Telegraph House B & B), and the post office (later moved to Hill Street). File includes:
Christ Church, Port Stanley, Looking Northwest from the top of modern day Matilda Street, 1868. View includes Christ Church Anglican church and cemetery, built in 1845 on land given by Colonel John Bostwick, the road that is now Colborne Street, Kettle Creek, and the London & Port Stanley Railway covered bridge. The modern day locations of the Kanagio Yacht Club, Foodland, and Selborne Park are visible. This image has been copied from an unidentified publication, where it was printed with the caption "Christ Church, and vicinity, as it appeared from the hill in 1868, with old covered bridge over Creek in background. (From an old photograph in possession of Warren C. Miller, St. Thomas.)". File includes:
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Historical Photographs of St. Thomas file
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 14.5 cm
Scope and Content
Aerial view of Port Stanley, ca. 1930. Photo by Frank H. Leslie. Retained for reference by the St. Thomas Times-Journal. View includes the London & Port Stanley Railway tracks, with trains travelling in opposite directions visible; the London & Port Stanley Railway Dance Pavilion (later the Stork Club), with a water taxi or ferry boat parked at its dock extended out into Lake Erie; the London & Port Stanley Railway Cafeteria (with visible sign); the London & Port Stanley Railway Bath House; the Port Stanley boardwalk; Hopkins Casino; the west breakwater (pier; partially visible); a baseball diamond with a game in progress; a ferris wheel and carousel; and large mounds of what appears to be coal lining the west side of the harbour.
File includes photograph print (corresponding b&w plastic negative is missing).
For a postcard made from this image see Robert Moore Postcard Collection C6 Sh6 B3 F1 41.
CP535 posted on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter : August 6, 2021.
Scope and Content
Two photographs showing baseball games at the main beach recreation area in Port Stanley, ca. 1930. CP535 shows a women's game, with view looking northwest. Image 140_95457 shows a men's game, with view looking southeast and the London and Port Stanley Railway beach terminal (with approaching train) and London and Port Stanley Railway Dance Pavilion (opened in 1926, later known as the Stork Club) visible in the background.
Black and white postcard showing Centre Street Baptist Church, St. Thomas, ca. 1910s. View is looking south on Southwick Street from opposite the Southwick Street fire hall. The London & Port Stanley Railway crossing at the intersection of Centre and Southwick Streets is also in view.
Black and white photograph showing an eastbound St. Thomas Street Railway car on Wellington Street, approaching the intersection with Railway Street (now Princess Avenue), ca. 1920. View is looking west on Wellington Street from the London and Port Stanley Railway tracks running north-south between Railway Street (Princess Avenue) and Moore Street. The spire of Trinity Anglican Church on the northeast corner of Southwick and Wellington Streets is visible in the background. The residence visible at 119 Wellington Street on the northwest corner of Wellington and Railway Streets was occupied when this photograph was taken by Charles A. Riddle, roofing contractor. Marlatt & Marlatt coal, wood, cement and pipe dealers is visible at 120 Wellington Street on the southeast corner of Wellington and Railway Streets. Two horse drawn sleighs are visible.
Black and white aerial photograph showing Pinafore Park and surrounding area in St. Thomas, January 17, 1948. View is looking south from Elm Street. View includes the Michigan Central Railway pumphouse and partial view of Pinafore Lake at lower left, Elmslie Field baseball stadium in Pinafore Park, a partial view of the Pere Marquette Railway shops and yards at lower right, Elmdale Cemetery at upper right, the London and Port Stanley Railway tracks, and Sunset Drive south of Wilson Avenue. Photograph by Ron Nelson, London, Ontario.
Black and white aerial photograph showing Pinafore Park and surrounding area in St. Thomas, January 17, 1948. View is looking west from Pinafore Lake. View includes the Michigan Central Railway pumphouse and partial view of Pinafore Lake at lower right, Elmslie Field baseball stadium in Pinafore Park, the Pinafore Park Pavilion, a partial view of the Pere Marquette Railway shops and yards at right, Elmdale Cemetery, Elmdale Public School, a partial view of the Pere Marquette Railway bridge at upper centre, a partial view of West Avenue Cemetery, the London and Port Stanley Railway tracks, and Sunset Drive. Photograph by Ron Nelson, London, Ontario.