Black and white postcard showing Centre Street Baptist Church, St. Thomas, ca. 1910s. View is looking south on Southwick Street from opposite the Southwick Street fire hall. The London & Port Stanley Railway crossing at the intersection of Centre and Southwick Streets is also in view.
Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.
Black and white photograph showing an eastbound St. Thomas Street Railway car on Wellington Street, approaching the intersection with Railway Street (now Princess Avenue), ca. 1920. View is looking west on Wellington Street from the London and Port Stanley Railway tracks running north-south between Railway Street (Princess Avenue) and Moore Street. The spire of Trinity Anglican Church on the northeast corner of Southwick and Wellington Streets is visible in the background. The residence visible at 119 Wellington Street on the northwest corner of Wellington and Railway Streets was occupied when this photograph was taken by Charles A. Riddle, roofing contractor. Marlatt & Marlatt coal, wood, cement and pipe dealers is visible at 120 Wellington Street on the southeast corner of Wellington and Railway Streets. Two horse drawn sleighs are visible.
View of Port Stanley, Looking North from Hillcrest, ca. 1875. View includes the covered bridge along the route of the London & Port Stanley Railway (upper left corner), Batt's Hotel (constructed 1870, destroyed by fire in 1890) on the southwest corner of Main and Bridge Streets, what is now Colborne Street, Main Street, Christ Church Anglican church, the Payne House (built in 1873 by Port Stanley postmaster and customs officer Manuel Payne; now the Telegraph House B & B), and the post office (later moved to Hill Street). File includes:
Christ Church, Port Stanley, Looking Northwest from the top of modern day Matilda Street, 1868. View includes Christ Church Anglican church and cemetery, built in 1845 on land given by Colonel John Bostwick, the road that is now Colborne Street, Kettle Creek, and the London & Port Stanley Railway covered bridge. The modern day locations of the Kanagio Yacht Club, Foodland, and Selborne Park are visible. This image has been copied from an unidentified publication, where it was printed with the caption "Christ Church, and vicinity, as it appeared from the hill in 1868, with old covered bridge over Creek in background. (From an old photograph in possession of Warren C. Miller, St. Thomas.)". File includes: