View of Port Stanley, Looking North from Hillcrest, ca. 1875. View includes the covered bridge along the route of the London & Port Stanley Railway (upper left corner), Batt's Hotel (constructed 1870, destroyed by fire in 1890) on the southwest corner of Main and Bridge Streets, what is now Colborne Street, Main Street, Christ Church Anglican church, the Payne House (built in 1873 by Port Stanley postmaster and customs officer Manuel Payne; now the Telegraph House B & B), and the post office (later moved to Hill Street). File includes:
Christ Church, Port Stanley, Looking Northwest from the top of modern day Matilda Street, 1868. View includes Christ Church Anglican church and cemetery, built in 1845 on land given by Colonel John Bostwick, the road that is now Colborne Street, Kettle Creek, and the London & Port Stanley Railway covered bridge. The modern day locations of the Kanagio Yacht Club, Foodland, and Selborne Park are visible. This image has been copied from an unidentified publication, where it was printed with the caption "Christ Church, and vicinity, as it appeared from the hill in 1868, with old covered bridge over Creek in background. (From an old photograph in possession of Warren C. Miller, St. Thomas.)". File includes:
Black and white postcard showing Centre Street Baptist Church, St. Thomas, ca. 1910s. View is looking south on Southwick Street from opposite the Southwick Street fire hall. The London & Port Stanley Railway crossing at the intersection of Centre and Southwick Streets is also in view.
Black and white photograph showing an eastbound St. Thomas Street Railway car on Wellington Street, approaching the intersection with Railway Street (now Princess Avenue), ca. 1920. View is looking west on Wellington Street from the London and Port Stanley Railway tracks running north-south between Railway Street (Princess Avenue) and Moore Street. The spire of Trinity Anglican Church on the northeast corner of Southwick and Wellington Streets is visible in the background. The residence visible at 119 Wellington Street on the northwest corner of Wellington and Railway Streets was occupied when this photograph was taken by Charles A. Riddle, roofing contractor. Marlatt & Marlatt coal, wood, cement and pipe dealers is visible at 120 Wellington Street on the southeast corner of Wellington and Railway Streets. Two horse drawn sleighs are visible.
2_435 was published in St. Thomas Times-Journal on February 24, 1949, page one.
Posted on Facebook: September 24, 2021.
2 negatives : plastic
Scope and Content
Photographs of a tank car derailment in Port Stanley on the London and Port Stanely Rail line.
Caption from St. Thomas Times-Journal on February 24, 1949, page one: " Tank Car Derailed on L. & P.S."
2_435: "Service on the London and Port Stanley wsa disrupted on Wednesday when a tank car was derailed at Port Stanley. Assistance was enlisted from the Chespeake & Ohio Railway in getting the tank car back on the tracks and re-opening traffic south from St. Thomas. The C. & O. wrecker and crew was dispatched to the scene of the wreck about ten o'clock, Wednesday morning . Ernest Woodruff, divion master mechanic, supervised the work of righting the wreck."