View of Port Stanley, Looking North from Hillcrest, ca. 1875. View includes the covered bridge along the route of the London & Port Stanley Railway (upper left corner), Batt's Hotel (constructed 1870, destroyed by fire in 1890) on the southwest corner of Main and Bridge Streets, what is now Colborne Street, Main Street, Christ Church Anglican church, the Payne House (built in 1873 by Port Stanley postmaster and customs officer Manuel Payne; now the Telegraph House B & B), and the post office (later moved to Hill Street). File includes:
Christ Church, Port Stanley, Looking Northwest from the top of modern day Matilda Street, 1868. View includes Christ Church Anglican church and cemetery, built in 1845 on land given by Colonel John Bostwick, the road that is now Colborne Street, Kettle Creek, and the London & Port Stanley Railway covered bridge. The modern day locations of the Kanagio Yacht Club, Foodland, and Selborne Park are visible. This image has been copied from an unidentified publication, where it was printed with the caption "Christ Church, and vicinity, as it appeared from the hill in 1868, with old covered bridge over Creek in background. (From an old photograph in possession of Warren C. Miller, St. Thomas.)". File includes:
Black and white postcard showing Centre Street Baptist Church, St. Thomas, ca. 1910s. View is looking south on Southwick Street from opposite the Southwick Street fire hall. The London & Port Stanley Railway crossing at the intersection of Centre and Southwick Streets is also in view.
A black and white photograph of the former London and Port Stanley Railway bridge near Union, Ontario, being demolished in April 1978. The reverse has the following caption handwritten in ink: "Old landmarks disappearing. 1 April 1978 / the former L&PS railway wooden overpass west of Union has been demolished"
Black and white photograph showing a London and Port Stanley Railway train travelling south beneath the Barwick Street bridge, St. Thomas (constructed 1921), approaching the "Wabash Diamond", i.e. the intersection of tracks operated by the L & PS (running north-south) and the Canadian National Railways/Wabash Railroad (running east-west). View is looking north and includes L & PS car 12. The train is shown passing the western termination of Baldwin Street.
Black and white photograph showing an eastbound St. Thomas Street Railway car on Wellington Street, approaching the intersection with Railway Street (now Princess Avenue), ca. 1920. View is looking west on Wellington Street from the London and Port Stanley Railway tracks running north-south between Railway Street (Princess Avenue) and Moore Street. The spire of Trinity Anglican Church on the northeast corner of Southwick and Wellington Streets is visible in the background. The residence visible at 119 Wellington Street on the northwest corner of Wellington and Railway Streets was occupied when this photograph was taken by Charles A. Riddle, roofing contractor. Marlatt & Marlatt coal, wood, cement and pipe dealers is visible at 120 Wellington Street on the southeast corner of Wellington and Railway Streets. Two horse drawn sleighs are visible.
Two copies of a black and white photograph showing flooding at the Waterworks Park, St. Thomas pumphouse, ca. 1920 from an elevated perspective. The London and Port Stanley Railway bridge adjacent to the park is visible in the background.
Black and white photograph showing Wabash Railroad steam locomotive 1680 and trailing coal car and box cars, travelling across the London and Port Stanley Railway's Kettle Creek Bridge north of St. Thomas, April 10, 1942.
Black and white photograph showing Wabash Railroad steam locomotive 1680 and trailing coal car and box cars, travelling across the Wabash Railroad Bridge across the London and Port Stanley Railway's Kettle Creek Bridge north of St. Thomas, April 10, 1942.
Two copies of a black and white photograph showing a Wabash Railroad steam locomotive and trailing coal car and box cars, travelling across the Wabash Railroad Bridge across the London and Port Stanley Railway's Kettle Creek Bridge north of St. Thomas, November, 1940.
Black and white photograph showing a Wabash Railroad steam locomotive and trailing coal car and box cars, travelling across the Wabash Railroad Bridge across the London and Port Stanley Railway's Kettle Creek Bridge north of St. Thomas, ca. 1940.
Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.
Black and white photograph showing the London and Port Stanley Railway, Kettle Creek Bridge north of St. Thomas, with the South Pond Mills Bridge visible in the background. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal, April 6, 1967, with caption: "Reinforce Centre Section - Canadian National Railways workmen prepare the centre section of the CNR-L&PS viaduct in the north portion of St. Thomas for this weekend's installment of two new 'legs' which support the bridge over Kettle Creek. The legs, weighing an estimated 10 tons each, will be lowered into position by two giant cranes, one on each side of the centre span. 'Helping' the workmen on their lofty 100-foot-plus perch is a wild raccoon which was detrmined to rem ain underfoot."