Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

25 records – page 1 of 2.

London and Port Stanley Bridge

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives13335
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
C.W. Ellis fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1905
Storage Location
C3 Sh6 B1 F33 2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
C.W. Ellis fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C3 Sh6 B1 F33 2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1905
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w, sepia toned ; 20 x 24.5 cm on sheet 27 x 35 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph showing a wooden bridge belonging to the London and Port Stanley Railway. Overhead wires are visible. Mounted on cardboard with the caption "London & Port Stanley Bridge".
Name Access
Ellis, C.W.
St. Thomas (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges- railroad
Bridges
Photography
Images
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
C.W. Ellis fonds
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
graphic material
objects
Date Range
[190?]-1909
Storage Location
C3 Sh6 B1
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
C.W. Ellis fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C3 Sh6 B1
GMD
graphic material
objects
Date Range
[190?]-1909
Physical Description
263 photographs : b&w and col.
1 photograph album cover : 28 x 36.5 cm
History / Biographical
Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Custodial History
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.
Name Access
Ellis, C.W.
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Port Stanley (Ont.)
St. Thomas Camera Club
London and Port Stanley Railway
London and Port Stanley Toll Road
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Pere Marquette Railway
Subject Access
Photography
Automobiles
Bridges
Bridges- railroad
Business and Industry
Railways

Inner Harbour and Bridge, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152020
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1916
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F31
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-31
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F31
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1916
Publication
Posted on Facebook and Twitter: December 1, 2020.
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
View of the inner harbour and harbour bridge, Port Stanley, looking northwest, ca. 1910. View includes a few steam-powered fishing and pleasure boats, what appears to be a dredge scow (right), and the Main Station or Depot for the London and Port Stanley Railway. Houses or cottages are visible in the background on top of the hill behind the L & PS Station. The bridge shown in this photograph was removed in 1937 to allow for the construction of the King George VI Lift Bridge, which was officially opened in May, 1939. The fish tug that is pictured second-from-left (with the collapsed turtle at the stern and damaged starboard side) is the John R. Moore. She was built in 1911, and not fully turtled over for a few years after built, so photo would be 1915 or later. File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Port Stanley Harbour
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Fisheries
Fishing
Bridges
Railways
Images

Inner Harbour and Bridge, Port Stanley

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152024
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F32
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-32
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F32
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
View of the inner harbour and harbour bridge, Port Stanley, looking southeast, ca. 1910. View includes the Main Station or Depot for the London and Port Stanley Railway. The bridge shown in this photograph was removed in 1937 to allow for the construction of the King George VI Lift Bridge, which was officially opened in May, 1939. The bridge across the ravine on Hillcrest is visible in the background as is the Purdom Cottage (located immediately to the south or right of the ravine bridge). File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Port Stanley Harbour
London and Port Stanley Railway
Hillcrest Inn, Port Stanley
Subject Access
Bridges
Railways
Images

Port Stanley, Looking North from Hillcrest

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152371
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F58
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-58
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F58
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, September 3, 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/28900387844/in/dateposted-public/.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, January 4, 2017: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/32210834055/in/dateposted-public/.
Posted on Facebook: August 22, 2019.
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: February 2021: Image #2.
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
View of Port Stanley, ca. 1910, looking north from Hillcrest. View includes the original Port Stanley Town Hall (built 1877) on the east side of Main Street, with its distinctive front dometed turret; the Hotel Loney (later the Clifton Hotel); the London and Port Stanley Railway station at the intersection of Bridge and Carlow Streets, and a rail car on the tracks just north of the station; a building opposite the train station marked "Lakeside Pleasure Company Ltd" (later the Lakeside Fish Company); the bridge across the inner harbour (removed to make way for the King George VI Lift Bridge, which opened in May, 1939); Main Street, with tracks for the South-Western Traction Company (or its successor, the London and Lake Erie Railway and Transportation Company) visible; and numerous pleasure boats and fishing tugs. File includes:
Photograph print
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Hotel Loney (Port Stanley)
Clifton Hotel (Port Stanley)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Southwestern Traction Company
London and Lake Erie Railway and Transportation Company
Town Hall (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Railways
Hotels
Bridges
Municipal Offices
Images
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1912
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F62
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-62
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F62
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1912
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Black and white postcard, ca. 1912, showing the inner harbour at Port Stanley, looking southeast. View includes the bridge across the Hillcrest ravine and the Purdom Cottage (located immediately to the south or right of the ravine bridge); the original Port Stanley Town Hall on the east side of Main Street, constructed in 1877; the bridge across the harbour that was later removed to make way for the King George VI Lift Bridge (officially opened in May, 1939); a building at the western end of the bridge, on the south side of Bridge Street marked "Boat House"; and the London and Port Stanley Railway station and yards just north of Bridge Street. File includes:
Postcard
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Hillcrest Inn, Port Stanley
London and Port Stanley Railway
Port Stanley Harbour
Town Hall (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Hotels
Bridges
Railways
Municipal Offices
Images
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1912
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F63
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-63
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F63
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1912
Publication
Posted on Facebook: September 10, 2020.
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: February 2021: Image #4.
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph, ca. 1912, showing the inner harbour at Port Stanley, looking southeast. View includes the Purdom Cottage (with a sign reading "Hillcrest" on the hill directly beneath the building), the Hillcrest Hotel/Hillcrest Inn and Hillcrest observation tower (located immediately to the north or left of the ravine bridge), the bridge across the Hillcrest ravine; the original Port Stanley Town Hall (constructed in 1877), the Payne House (constructed in 1873 by Port Stanley postmaster and customs officer Manuel Payne) and the Customs House, all located on the on the east side of Main Street; the bridge across the harbour that was later removed to make way for the King George VI Lift Bridge (officially opened in May, 1939); a building at the western end of the bridge, on the south side of Bridge Street marked "Boat House"; and the London and Port Stanley Railway station and yards just north of Bridge Street, with several rail cars marked "Pere Marquette" (the Pere Marquette Railway leased the London and Port Stanley Railway's tracks and facilities from 1906 to 1914). What appears to be a pile of sawn boards (lumber) and a floating derrick or dredge are visible, just south of the bridge on the east bank of the harbour. File includes:
Photograph print
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Hillcrest Inn, Port Stanley
London and Port Stanley Railway
Pere Marquette Railway
Port Stanley Harbour
Payne (family)
Payne House (Port Stanley)
Payne, Manuel
Port Stanley Customs House
Town Hall (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Hotels
Bridges
Railways
Municipal Offices
Images

Harbour, Port Stanley, Looking Southeast

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152529
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F68
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-68
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F68
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Publication
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: March 2021: Image #7.
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the inner harbour at Port Stanley, looking southeast, ca. 1915. View includes the London and Port Stanley Railway station and yards; an Ice Cream Parlour on the south side of Bridge Street opposite the railway station; the bridge across the inner harbour that was removed to make way for the King George VI Lift Bridge (officially opened in May, 1939); a rare view of Bridge Street east of the bridge; the Hotel Loney (later the Clifton Hotel); the Customs House and Payne House on the east side of Main Street. The Port Stanley Town Hall (built 1877) is partially visible at the extreme right. In the background, a row of houses or cottages is visible on the crest of Hillcrest, as is the bridge across the Hillcrest ravine, the Purdom Cottage (located immediately to the south or right of the ravine bridge), and the Hillcrest Hotel, later known as the Hillcrest Inn (located immediately to the north or left of the ravine bridge). Note that the observation tower adjacent to the Hillcrest Hotel is absent in this photograph. File includes:
Photograph print
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Hillcrest Inn, Port Stanley
Hotel Loney (Port Stanley)
Clifton Hotel (Port Stanley)
Payne (family)
Payne House (Port Stanley)
Payne, Manuel
Port Stanley Customs House
Town Hall (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Railways
Hotels
Municipal Offices
Bridges
Images

London and Port Stanley Railway Bridge - Demolition near Union, Ontario

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives160613
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
April 1978
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B2 F1 39
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
File Number
R4 S5 Sh3 B2 F1
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B2 F1 39
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
April 1978
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph: b&w; 15 x 15cm
Scope and Content
A black and white photograph of the former London and Port Stanley Railway bridge near Union, Ontario, being demolished in April 1978. The reverse has the following caption handwritten in ink: "Old landmarks disappearing. 1 April 1978 / the former L&PS railway wooden overpass west of Union has been demolished"
Name Access
London and Port Stanley Railway
Railways
Subject Access
Railways
Transportation
Bridges
Bridges- railroad
Images

Port Stanley, Looking South from Carlow Road

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives102090
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1935
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95458
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95458
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1935
Publication
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: March 2021: Image #8.
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
View of Port Stanley, looking south toward Lake Erie along Carlow Road. Visible are: London and Port Stanley Railway tracks, yard and station; grain elevator on the west side of the inner harbour; the bridge across the inner harbour that was removed to make way for the King George VI Lift Bridge (opened in May, 1939).
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges
Copy Print Number
1120
Images

London and Port Stanley Railway Freight Train

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153837
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1940
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1940
Publication
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: April 2021: Image #11.
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Two copies of a black and white photograph showing London and Port Stanley Railway locomotive L-1 pulling a freight train composed of coal and tanker cars northbound from the L & PS main Port Stanley station in August, 1940. The King George VI Lift Bridge, inaugurated a year earlier in May, 1939, is visible. The Purdom Cottage and pedestrian bridge across the Hill Crest ravine are visible in the background. View is looking southeast. A note verso reads: "L & PS box cab #1 was captured by photographer George Harris leaving Port Stanley for St. Thomas with a freight train in Aug. 1940. L & PS #1 is a 60 ton box cab built by GE in March 1915. After the railway was de-electrified #1 was displayed at Rectory St. in London until CN donated it to Scie-Tech in Ottawa in 1967. Now back at St. Thomas it is a fine example of the restoration that the [Elgin County Railway] museum is undertaking on all its exhibits. Photo courtesy of Keith Sirman."
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
King George VI Lift Bridge
Subject Access
Bridges
Railways
Images

Ice Jam in Port Stanley Harbour

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives154096
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 160
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 160
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Publication
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: February 2021: Image #6.
Posted on Facebook: July 15, 2021.
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing an ice jam in Port Stanley harbour, ca. 1910. View is looking southwest and includes two tugboats (one with the name Venus) which have run aground, the grain elevator on the west side of the harbour, the bridge across the inner harbour (replaced in May, 1939 by the King George VI Lift Bridge), an ice cream parlour on the south side of Bridge Street, and the London and Port Stanley Railway main Port Stanley terminal.
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
1st Battalion
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges
URL Notes
URL directs to a social media post featuring the image, published on July 15, 2021.
Images
Websites / Street View

London and Port Stanley Railway Freight Train

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153863
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1939
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 9
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 9
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1939
Publication
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: April 2021: Image #12.
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Two copies of a black and white photograph showing London and Port Stanley Railway locomotive L3 pulling a freight train northbound from the L & PS main Port Stanley station in 1939. The King George VI Lift Bridge, recently inaugurated in May, 1939, is partially visible at left. An automobile with a 1939 licence plate and a windshield sign identifying it as a taxi is also visible. View is looking southeast.
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
King George VI Lift Bridge
Subject Access
Bridges
Railways
Images

London and Port Stanley Railway Train, St. Thomas

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153886
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1941
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 26
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 26
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1941
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing a London and Port Stanley Railway train travelling south beneath the Barwick Street bridge, St. Thomas (constructed 1921), approaching the "Wabash Diamond", i.e. the intersection of tracks operated by the L & PS (running north-south) and the Canadian National Railways/Wabash Railroad (running east-west). View is looking north and includes L & PS car 12. The train is shown passing the western termination of Baldwin Street.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Wabash Railroad
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges
Bridges- railroad
Images

Flooding, Waterworks Park, St. Thomas

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153923
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 55
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 55
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing flooding at the Waterworks Park, St. Thomas pumphouse, ca. 1920. The London and Port Stanley Railway bridge adjacent to the park is visible in the background.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Street Railway
London and Port Stanley Railway
Waterworks Park
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges
Bridges- railroad
Parks
Images

Flooding, Waterworks Park, St. Thomas

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153924
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 56
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 56
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Two copies of a black and white photograph showing flooding at the Waterworks Park, St. Thomas pumphouse, ca. 1920 from an elevated perspective. The London and Port Stanley Railway bridge adjacent to the park is visible in the background.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Street Railway
London and Port Stanley Railway
Waterworks Park
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges
Bridges- railroad
Parks
Images

London and Port Stanley Railway Car and South Pond Mills Bridge

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153965
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1955
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 84
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 84
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1955
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing London and Port Stanley Railway car 4 and an unidentified rail car, possibly a caboose, with workmen rebuilding the South Pond Mills Bridge, ca. 1955. See Curnoe, "The London and Port Stanley Railway, 1915-1965", p. 33.
Name Access
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges
Images

London and Port Stanley Railway Car and Kettle Creek Bridge

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153968
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 85
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 85
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing London and Port Stanley Railway car 8 and a second unidentified L & PS car travelling across the Kettle Creek Bridge north of St. Thomas and adjacent to Waterworks Park, ca. 1920. See Curnoe, "The London and Port Stanley Railway, 1915-1965", p. 43. This photograph was taken after the electrification of the L & PS system in 1915.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges
Images

Waterworks Park, St. Thomas

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153970
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 87
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 87
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing a mechanism described as a serrater at Waterworks Park, St. Thomas, ca. 1920. The London and Port Stanley Railway's Kettle Creek Bridge is visible in the background.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
St. Thomas Waterworks
Waterworks Park
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges
Parks
Public Works
Utilities
Images

Wabash Railroad Train and Bridge, St. Thomas

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153984
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1942
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 95
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 95
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1942
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing Wabash Railroad steam locomotive 1680 and trailing coal car and box cars, travelling across the London and Port Stanley Railway's Kettle Creek Bridge north of St. Thomas, April 10, 1942.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Wabash Bridge
Wabash Railroad
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges
Bridges- railroad
Images

25 records – page 1 of 2.