Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.
File contains a copy of a pamphlet entitled "The London and Port Stanley Graveled Road. Statement of particulars leading up to the application by the County Council of Elgin for Special Legislation to Provide for the Abolition of Tolls on the Road" published in April 1905. Collected by K.W. McKay, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the Elgin Historical and Scientific Institute.
Colour postcard with title The King Bridge and L.P.S. Gravel Road, St. Thomas. Image includes the King's Bridge over Kettle Creek northwest of St. Thomas, along what was known as the London and Port Stanley Gravel Road (now Sunset Drive/ Sunset Road), with the Great Western/Grand Trunk/Wabash Railroad trestle bridge in the background. Message verso by "L.O.W." [Louis Waite], 857 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, dated and postmarked March 10, 1909 at St. Thomas, and addressed to Mr. Art Adams, Aylmer.