1 photograph : b&w, sepia toned ; 24.5 x 19.5 cm on sheet 27 x 35 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph showing numerous unidentified men, several wearing railway uniforms, posing in front of a New York Central Lines railway locomotive on Talbot Street in St. Thomas, Ontario. Other rail cars are visible in the background, along with several store fronts, including a building with the inscription "Hopkins MDCCCXCII", probably the James Hopkins photography studio building at 355 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. Mounted on cardboard.
Similar photograph published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal, May 13, 1961, with caption: "shows the main attraction in what was pronounced to be the most spectacular Labour Day parade in the history of St. Thomas. Taking place in 1907, it consisted of a steam locomotive, the old interdepartmental engine 'A', as it was called, used in duty around the Michigan Central shops and roundhouse; several flat cars carrying equipment used in the railway industry, and a Pere Marquette caboose bringing up the rear. The train operated along the city's street railway tracks the full length of Talbot Street and return....[The photograph] was taken by J.H. Hopkins in front of his studio opposite Elgin Street. In the Hopkins picture are Mayor Calvin Lawrence [also a Michigan Central Railway engineer] and his fireman, Fred G. Mills, of the Pere Marquette; Joseph Worden, M.C.R. engineer, wearing his working garb; George E. Wright, M.C.R. conductor, who was in charge of the Labour Day special; L.G. Thompson, M.C.R. trainman, later to become a city alderman and a cigar store proprietor; George Smith, Wabash engineer; John Mackenzie, bailiff and former railroader; Zach Rowland, Herbert Sharpe, Frank Brinkman,...Herb May, P.M. Brakeman who lost his life in World War I; Sam Wall, B. Swisher and Jim Odbert, street railway employees, and E.G. Kitchen, of the staff of Mickleborough's store."
From above and information in caption of a similar photograph published September 3, 1907 in either the St. Thomas Evening Journal or the St. Thomas Daily Times, those shown in this photograph are, left to right standing in front of the engine, E.G. Kitchen of the staff of Mickleborough's store; Sam Wall, conductor, St. Thomas Street Railway; unidentified (sitting on the engine); Frank L. Brinkman, Pere Marquette trainman and later Mayor of St. Thomas, 1920-1921; James Odbert, motorman, St. Thomas Street Railway; B. Swisher, conductor, St. Thomas Street Railway; George Smith, Wabash engineer; Joe Worden, M.C.R. engineer; John Mackenzie, bailiff and former railroader; George E. Wright, M.C.R. conductor, in charge of the special train; Herbert Sharpe, M.C.R. brakeman; T. Herb May, Pere Marquette brakeman; unidentified; George T. Thompson, Wabash conductor, brakeman on the special train; Zach Rowland, Secretary of the Trades and Labour Council and Secretary of the Labour Day program; unidentified. Sitting in the window of the engine is Fred G. Mills, Pere Marquette fireman, and standing behind him is Calvin Lawrence, M.C.R. engineer and Mayor of St. Thomas, 1906-1907. The man seated on a horse to the right behind Thompson and Rowland is probably William Stokes, parade marshal, Boer War veteran and Mayor of St. Thomas, 1928-1929.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 27 (East to Mary).
Published in "Harvest of Memories: Elgin's History Through a Photographer's Lens-Volume II" on page 113.
Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4329719037/in/set-72157623225360465/.
1 photograph : b&w, sepia toned ; 19 x 24 cm on sheet 19.5 x 22.5 cm
Damaged by fraying, tape, glue - requires treatment by conservator.
Scope and Content
Photograph showing the waterfront at Port Stanley, Ontario on Dominion Day, July 1, 1909. Attributed to the James H. Hopkins photographic studio, St. Thomas, Ontario. Includes several men, women and children riding in the pleasure boat "Rambler"; part of a pier; the Stanley Beach Casino; and several women riding in a ferris wheel. Mounted on cardboard. The Stanley Beach Casino opened on July 1, 1909. Later purchased by St. Thomas photographer James H. Hopkins and operated as Hopkins Casino. Destroyed by fire in April, 1932.
Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.