Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4329718881/in/set-72157623225360465/.
1 photograph : b&w, sepia toned ; 17.5 x 22.5 cm on sheet 27 x 35 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph showing part of the Village of Port Stanley, Ontario. Includes railway lines and rail cars marked "Grand Trunk" and "Pere Marquette", a building with its roof marked "Boat House", a bridge (possibly a lift bridge), boats, houses and other buildings. A trestle bridge, transmission tower and the Hill Crest Inn are visible in the background. Mounted on cardboard with the caption "Port Stanley".
Published in "Harvest of Memories: Elgin's History Through a Photographer's Lens-Volume II" on page 113.
Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4329719037/in/set-72157623225360465/.
1 photograph : b&w, sepia toned ; 19 x 24 cm on sheet 19.5 x 22.5 cm
Damaged by fraying, tape, glue - requires treatment by conservator.
Scope and Content
Photograph showing the waterfront at Port Stanley, Ontario on Dominion Day, July 1, 1909. Attributed to the James H. Hopkins photographic studio, St. Thomas, Ontario. Includes several men, women and children riding in the pleasure boat "Rambler"; part of a pier; the Stanley Beach Casino; and several women riding in a ferris wheel. Mounted on cardboard. The Stanley Beach Casino opened on July 1, 1909. Later purchased by St. Thomas photographer James H. Hopkins and operated as Hopkins Casino. Destroyed by fire in April, 1932.
Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.