View of Port Stanley, Looking North from Hillcrest, ca. 1875. View includes the covered bridge along the route of the London & Port Stanley Railway (upper left corner), Batt's Hotel (constructed 1870, destroyed by fire in 1890) on the southwest corner of Main and Bridge Streets, what is now Colborne Street, Main Street, Christ Church Anglican church, the Payne House (built in 1873 by Port Stanley postmaster and customs officer Manuel Payne; now the Telegraph House B & B), and the post office (later moved to Hill Street). File includes:
Christ Church, Port Stanley, Looking Northwest from the top of modern day Matilda Street, 1868. View includes Christ Church Anglican church and cemetery, built in 1845 on land given by Colonel John Bostwick, the road that is now Colborne Street, Kettle Creek, and the London & Port Stanley Railway covered bridge. The modern day locations of the Kanagio Yacht Club, Foodland, and Selborne Park are visible. This image has been copied from an unidentified publication, where it was printed with the caption "Christ Church, and vicinity, as it appeared from the hill in 1868, with old covered bridge over Creek in background. (From an old photograph in possession of Warren C. Miller, St. Thomas.)". File includes:
Catherine Neff Collection- Alma College Valleyview Satellite Home series
1 photograph : col.; 12 x 17 cm
Scope and Content
Alma College Valleyview Satellite Home (Sifton House) residents, ca. 1980. Standing (left to right): Bessie Soper, Vi McMaster, Maria Counsell, Helen Harcourt, Saida Johnston. Seated: Nellie Inch, Florence Baron, Adelaide Herr, Lulu Mallott.
Rt. Rev. Dr. J. M. McQueen, Moderator (1958 - 60) presented with plaque by a student while Dr. Dobson and Dr. Sifton look on. Verso: stamp "Albert Hernandez, 11 Rapelje St. ...". Published in The Prospectus, 1959 - 60, P. 20 with the caption: "A photograph for the Moderator of the United Church of Canada. Duplicate of: R6 S3 Sh4 B1 #327a - student identified as Ruth Ann Greenbury, Detroit.
Rt. Rev. Dr. J. M. McQueen, Moderator (1958 - 60) presented with plaque by a student while Dr. Dobson and Dr. Sifton look on. Verso: stamp "Albert Hernandez, 11 Rapelje St. ...". Published in The Prospectus, 1959 - 60, P. 20 with the caption: "A photograph for the Moderator of the United Church of Canada. Student identified as Ruth Ann Greenbury, Detroit. Duplicate of: R6 S3 Sh4 B1 #327
Photo of Dr. Dobson and two women in front of stained glass window. Verso: " stamp; "Stollery...", "Margaret Ivey Allan Merrill and Dr. Dobson (unveiling of Dr. Warner Window)", "MIA Merrill - Alma 1911".
Photo of Dr. Dobson and Miss Hayman with St. Hilda's Chancel Windows in background at the presentation of the windows. Verso: " stamp; "Stollery...". Printing notations for Aylmer Express. Published in "Alma College - 1877 - 1977", p. 148, Published in The Prospectus, 1957 - 58, P. 20.
Photo of Ella Bowes Chapel at Alma College. The chapel first opened in 1948 and was demolished on April 28, 2016.
Verso: stamp - "Harrison Phot-O-Tone Color Service - Toronto Canada", print on Sep 4 1953".
Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4307207988/in/set-72157623164843407/.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, August 14, 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/20384327708/in/dateposted-public/.
Alma College fonds - Photographs series
one photograph : b&w ; 20cm x 25cm
Masking tape and tape residue verso
Scope and Content
Photo of Dr. Dobson in pulpit and students in chapel for morning service. Verso: stamp: "Ron Nelson Photography, London Ontario", "56-484". Published in The Prospectus, 1959-60, P. 5, Published in "Alma College - 1877 - 1977", p. 60.