Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

9 records – page 1 of 1.

Postcard - Centre Street Baptist Church, St. Thomas

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives114269
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca.1915
Accession Number
2013-05
Storage Location
C3 Sh5 B5 F8
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
Item Number
P 392
Accession Number
2013-05
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C3 Sh5 B5 F8
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca.1915
Physical Description
1 postcard : b&w ; 14 x 9 cm
Scan Resolution
300 d.p.i.
Scope and Content
Black and white postcard showing Centre Street Baptist Church, St. Thomas, ca. 1910s. View is looking south on Southwick Street from opposite the Southwick Street fire hall. The London & Port Stanley Railway crossing at the intersection of Centre and Southwick Streets is also in view.
Name Access
Centre Street Baptist Church
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Churches
Images

St. Thomas Times-Journal articles relating to the Serbian Orthodox Church, Eagle

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives63849
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1966
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
Box 172, File 24
R10 S3 Sh6 B4
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 172, File 24
R10 S3 Sh6 B4
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1966
Physical Description
0.1 cm of textual records
Name Access
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Eagle (Ont.)
Aldborough Township School Section No. 4 (Eagle School)
Subject Access
Newspapers
Religion
Churches
Education
Schools

Serbian Orthodox Church, Eagle - Located in Former Aldborough Township School Section No. 4 (Eagle School) Building

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives40494
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1966
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B1 F99 1
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B1 F99 1
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1966
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Serbian Orthodox Church, Eagle file
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph used in St. Thomas Times-Journal article published July 12, 1966 with caption: "New Church- The last of the Eagle Schools, a two-room building constructed in 1950 has been purchased by the East Orthodox or Serbian Orthodox Church. It is to be dedicated on Sunday, July 31 by Bishop Dionisije, of Libertyville, Ill. head of the church in Canada and the U.S.A. The other Eagle School, a one-room building, built in 1895, is now used as a community hall and is next to this building."
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Eagle (Ont.)
Aldborough Township School Section No. 4 (Eagle School)
Subject Access
Newspapers
Churches
Education
Schools
Images

Serbian Orthodox Church, Eagle - Church Opened

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives40711
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1966
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B1 F99 2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B1 F99 2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1966
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Serbian Orthodox Church, Eagle file
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 11.5 x 18 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Two black and white photographs used in St. Thomas Times-Journal article published August 2, 1966 with captions:
"Opening Scenes- Bishop Donisji, of Libertyville, Ill., head of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Canada and the United States, officiated at the dedication of the former two-room Eagle Public School as church and Sunday school building Sunday. The dedication service was combined with a service in honor of St. Elijah, the patron saint of the church. The service was held outside and the congregation stood. The bishop and assisting clergy chanted the liturgy, while the congregation responded. A card table and school desk, decked with beautiful cloths, served as alter and communion table. At the end of the service the holy bread was passed to members of the congregation after they kissed the cross and the bishop's hand. The bishop walked around the building, past Serbian and Canadian flags, before officially consecreating it with holy oil inside." (2a)
"Church Opened- The former Eagle Public School was dedicated as a church and Sunday school Sunday at the Serbian Orthodox Church. The chuch serves Canadians of Yugoslavian descent. Peter Stojanovich, of Hamilton, godfather of the Eagle Church, cut the ribbon and turned the key. He was assisted by Milenko Parezanovich, of R.R. 2, West Lorne, the president of the congregation. After the official opening a procession of clergy, led by Bishop Dionisji, head of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Canada and the U.S.A., blessed and dedicated the building." (2b)
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Eagle (Ont.)
Aldborough Township School Section No. 4 (Eagle School)
Subject Access
Newspapers
Churches
Education
Schools
Images

Serbian Orthodox Church, Eagle - Perform Native Dances

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives40712
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B1 F99 3
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B1 F99 3
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Publication
Published in the Bygone Days section of the St. Thomas Times-Journal and on the Archives' flickr site: September 6, 2012.
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Serbian Orthodox Church, Eagle file
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 11.5 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph used in St. Thomas Times-Journal article published August 9, 1967 with caption: "Perform Native Dances- Eleven members of the Mlada Srba, or Young Serbians, performed at last weekend's fourth annual Serbian Orthodox Church reunion held at Eagle at the weekend. Entertainment also included songs by Mery Balobabick and Dary Vrga, in back row, far left and right."
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Eagle (Ont.)
Aldborough Township School Section No. 4 (Eagle School)
Subject Access
Newspapers
Churches
Education
Schools
Images

Serbian Orthodox Church, Eagle - New Roof

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives40713
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1968
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B1 F99 4
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B1 F99 4
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1968
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Serbian Orthodox Church, Eagle file
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 12.5 x 9 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph used in St. Thomas Times-Journal article published April 13, 1968 with caption: "Builds New Roof- After three years of having water leak onto the floor, the Serbian Orthodox Church is getting a new roof. Earlier attempts at stopping the leak failed. The church group bought the building, a former school, three years ago. The leaking water has caused church officials concern because of the possible installation of new tile on the floor. Seen nailing shingles to the roof is Steve Labovich of New Glasgow."
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Eagle (Ont.)
Aldborough Township School Section No. 4 (Eagle School)
Subject Access
Newspapers
Churches
Education
Schools
Images

St. Thomas Street Railway Car, Wellington Street

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153917
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 50
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 50
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing an eastbound St. Thomas Street Railway car on Wellington Street, approaching the intersection with Railway Street (now Princess Avenue), ca. 1920. View is looking west on Wellington Street from the London and Port Stanley Railway tracks running north-south between Railway Street (Princess Avenue) and Moore Street. The spire of Trinity Anglican Church on the northeast corner of Southwick and Wellington Streets is visible in the background. The residence visible at 119 Wellington Street on the northwest corner of Wellington and Railway Streets was occupied when this photograph was taken by Charles A. Riddle, roofing contractor. Marlatt & Marlatt coal, wood, cement and pipe dealers is visible at 120 Wellington Street on the southeast corner of Wellington and Railway Streets. Two horse drawn sleighs are visible.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Street Railway
London and Port Stanley Railway
Trinity Anglican Church, St. Thomas
Subject Access
Railways
Churches
Images

View of Port Stanley, Looking North from Hillcrest

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives151588
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1875
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-2
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F2
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1875
Publication
Posted on Facebook: July 7, 2020.
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
View of Port Stanley, Looking North from Hillcrest, ca. 1875. View includes the covered bridge along the route of the London & Port Stanley Railway (upper left corner), Batt's Hotel (constructed 1870, destroyed by fire in 1890) on the southwest corner of Main and Bridge Streets, what is now Colborne Street, Main Street, Christ Church Anglican church, the Payne House (built in 1873 by Port Stanley postmaster and customs officer Manuel Payne; now the Telegraph House B & B), and the post office (later moved to Hill Street). File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Payne (family)
Payne House (Port Stanley)
Payne, Manuel
Christ Church (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Railways
Hotels
Churches
Images

Christ Church, Port Stanley, Looking Northwest

https://heritagecollections.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives151624
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1868
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F5
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-5
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F5
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1868
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Christ Church, Port Stanley, Looking Northwest from the top of modern day Matilda Street, 1868. View includes Christ Church Anglican church and cemetery, built in 1845 on land given by Colonel John Bostwick, the road that is now Colborne Street, Kettle Creek, and the London & Port Stanley Railway covered bridge. The modern day locations of the Kanagio Yacht Club, Foodland, and Selborne Park are visible. This image has been copied from an unidentified publication, where it was printed with the caption "Christ Church, and vicinity, as it appeared from the hill in 1868, with old covered bridge over Creek in background. (From an old photograph in possession of Warren C. Miller, St. Thomas.)". File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Christ Church (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Churches
Religion
Images

9 records – page 1 of 1.