Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.
The London and Port Stanley Railway Company (L&PSR) was incorporated by a group of prominent London, Ontario citizens in May 1853. It commenced operations in September 1856. Initially, the railway line proved successful as it generated enough business in Port Stanley, Ontario to result in the construction of a port and other facilities that were regularly visited by American shipping lines. During the summer, the L&PSR became a popular route for city dwellers looking to escape from the heat to the beaches of Lake Erie. Passenger traffic plummeted following the Second World War after reaching a peak of 1.1 million in 1943. The end of gas rationing and more use of the automobile caused the end of passenger service on February 1, 1957. Effective January 1, 1966, the line became part of the Canadian National Railways (CNR). The City of London had traded the line to CNR in exchange for property elsewhere in the municipality.
Donated to London Room likely by the estate of Stanley Shantz of London or was purchased at auction from the estate. Transferred to ECA by London Room.
Scope and Content
Waxed linen drawings of car barns, track switches, car dimensions, power readings and bridge profiles of the London and Port Stanley Railway Company.
Fonds consists of approximately 200 file cards with typescript summaries of notices originally published 1902-1918 in the St. Thomas Daily Times, the St. Thomas Evening Journal, London Free Press and other newspapers relating to the Southwestern Traction Company, the London and Lake Erie Railway and Transportation Company, and the London & Port Stanley Railway.