Photograph showing passenger Grace Sharritt (X) in front of a London & Port Stanley Railway wreck, ca. 1920. Note that the motorcar is electrified: the L & PS switched from coal powered locomotives to electric power in 1915. Several men in military uniform are visible.
View of Port Stanley, Looking East from Fraser Heights, ca. 1920. View includes Hillcrest, including what may be the Hillcrest Inn (constructed 1896 by St. Thomas lawyer John R. Robinson and originally called the "White House"), the Purdom House (residence built in 1897 by a lawyer from London, Ontario), the grain elevator on the west side of the inner harbour, Vary family fish shanties, residence of fishing magnate Frank Shepherd (now the Windjammer Inn), a house at the intersection of Erie and Sydenham Streets said to have been occupied in 1910-1911 by the census taker, Sydenham Street (foreground), stanchions for the electrification of the London & Port Stanley Railway (completed in 1915) and a file of L & PS Railway cars along the west side of the inner harbour, numerous backyard garden plots. File includes:
Shows the arrival at of an electric-powered (locomotive number 6) passenger train at the London and Port Stanley Railway Beach Terminal at Port Stanley ca. 1920. The electrification of the L & PS system was completed in 1915. View is looking east along Edith Cavell Boulevard and includes the fence at the west end of the terminal platform, passengers entering and leaving the terminal platform, a weigh scale (1 cent for weight and fortune), the terminal shelter (the open-ended building at right) and the London and Port Stanley Railway ice house (partially visible directly to the east of the terminal shelter). The entrance to the Port Stanley Incline Railway is just out of the picture to the north (left). File includes:
Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4326107364/in/set-72157623336177194/.
Scope and Content
View of the beach and Hopkins Casino, Port Stanley, ca. 1920. The penny arcade with various amusements including a carousel, and the London and Port Stanley Railway Cafeteria and Bath House (opened in 1917) are visible in the background to the west (left) of the Casino. The London and Port Stanley Railway Dance Pavilion (later known as the Stork Club), which was opened in July, 1926, is not visible, so this photograph pre-dates 1926. A label affixed to the back of the copy print reads: "In 1908, James Hopkins, in connection with several investors, purchased the bath house owned by Thomas Hough at the end of William St. and erected the Port Stanley Beach Casino. It was one of the most successful ventures ever undertaken in the village & could boast having the largest ballroom in Canada until 1926. The photo here shows the last edition of the casino as it appeared in the 1920s. To the left is the penny arcade." The casino was enlarged several times before it was destroyed by fire in April, 1932.
Plan of the north half of Lot 2, Concession 4 in the Township of Yarmouth, known as the Hathaway Farm, drawn July 18, 1918 by James A. Bell and Son, Civil Engineers, revised in 1920 and 1925 to show property sold in those years to the London & Port Stanley Railway.
The London and Port Stanley Railway Company (L&PSR) was incorporated by a group of prominent London, Ontario citizens in May 1853. It commenced operations in September 1856. Initially, the railway line proved successful as it generated enough business in Port Stanley, Ontario to result in the construction of a port and other facilities that were regularly visited by American shipping lines. During the summer, the L&PSR became a popular route for city dwellers looking to escape from the heat to the beaches of Lake Erie. Passenger traffic plummeted following the Second World War after reaching a peak of 1.1 million in 1943. The end of gas rationing and more use of the automobile caused the end of passenger service on February 1, 1957. Effective January 1, 1966, the line became part of the Canadian National Railways (CNR). The City of London had traded the line to CNR in exchange for property elsewhere in the municipality.
Donated to London Room likely by the estate of Stanley Shantz of London or was purchased at auction from the estate. Transferred to ECA by London Room.
Scope and Content
Waxed linen drawings of car barns, track switches, car dimensions, power readings and bridge profiles of the London and Port Stanley Railway Company.
Printed in TJ- 31 October 2003.
Published in "The Scott-Sefton Collection: Elgin's History Through A Photographer's Lens, Volume 1", pg. 26.
Scope and Content
Exterior view of the Hopkins Casino dance hall in Port Stanley, looking northwest with the London and Port Stanley Railway Cafeteria, the City Cafe, and the Penny Arcade featuring various amusements including a carousel visible in the background. Hopkins Casino was located at the southern end of William Street. It opened on July 1, 1909 under its original name, the Stanley Beach Casino. It was later renamed Hopkins Casino after tis owner, St. Thomas photographer James H. Hopkins. Hopkins Casino was destroyed by fire in April, 1932.
Port Stanley Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
5 photographs : b&w
Scope and Content
Five black and white photographs show scenes of flooding in Port Stanley. (150a) north of the bridge; (150b) north of the bridge; (150c) ice jam; (150d) boat jammed by ice agains bank of river; (150d) "Frank H. Stanley" in January 1929; London & Port Stanley Railway station is visible in the background. Included in Port Stanley Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History Book.