Black and white photograph of London & Port Stanley Railway passenger car No. 19. This passenger car was a former steam railroad coach and was later rebuilt in the 1920s to include a Multi-Unit train control system.
A black and white photograph of London and Port Stanley Railway Locomotive L1, which was built by General Electric (GE) in March 1915. It is now being preserved by the Elgin County Railway Museum in St. Thomas, Ontario.
A black and white photograph of London and Port Stanley Railway passenger train with motor car No. 16 in London, Ontario. The locomotive was manufactured in the USA and has a painted Victory "V" on the side of the car in support of the was effort during the Second World War.
Motor car No. 16 was built in 1907 by G.C. Kuhlman Car Company in February, 1909 and was acquired by the London and Port Stanley Railway in 1941. It was originally built for and used by The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Company as Locomotive No. 102. It was converted to a parlour car in 1924.
Two black and white photographs of London and Port Stanley Railway car No. 1. The first photograph (R4 S5 Sh3 B2 F1 18a) shows damage of the south end, east side of the car, and the second photograph (R4 S5 Sh3 B2 F1 18b) shows damage of the north end, east side of the car.
A black and white photograph of a London and Port Stanley Railway passenger train with motor car number 16 and 23 in St. Thomas, Ontario in September, 1944. The cars have a painted Victory "V" in support of the war effort in the Second World War.
A black and white photograph of London and Port Stanley Railway passenger train with cars number 16 and 23 in St. Thomas, Ontario in September, 1942. The cars have a painted Victory "V" in support of the war effort during the Second World War.
The London and Port Stanley Railway Company (L&PSR) was incorporated by a group of prominent London, Ontario citizens in May 1853. It commenced operations in September 1856. Initially, the railway line proved successful as it generated enough business in Port Stanley, Ontario to result in the construction of a port and other facilities that were regularly visited by American shipping lines. During the summer, the L&PSR became a popular route for city dwellers looking to escape from the heat to the beaches of Lake Erie. Passenger traffic plummeted following the Second World War after reaching a peak of 1.1 million in 1943. The end of gas rationing and more use of the automobile caused the end of passenger service on February 1, 1957. Effective January 1, 1966, the line became part of the Canadian National Railways (CNR). The City of London had traded the line to CNR in exchange for property elsewhere in the municipality.
Donated to London Room likely by the estate of Stanley Shantz of London or was purchased at auction from the estate. Transferred to ECA by London Room.
Scope and Content
Waxed linen drawings of car barns, track switches, car dimensions, power readings and bridge profiles of the London and Port Stanley Railway Company.
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: April 2021: Image #11.
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Two copies of a black and white photograph showing London and Port Stanley Railway locomotive L-1 pulling a freight train composed of coal and tanker cars northbound from the L & PS main Port Stanley station in August, 1940. The King George VI Lift Bridge, inaugurated a year earlier in May, 1939, is visible. The Purdom Cottage and pedestrian bridge across the Hill Crest ravine are visible in the background. View is looking southeast. A note verso reads: "L & PS box cab #1 was captured by photographer George Harris leaving Port Stanley for St. Thomas with a freight train in Aug. 1940. L & PS #1 is a 60 ton box cab built by GE in March 1915. After the railway was de-electrified #1 was displayed at Rectory St. in London until CN donated it to Scie-Tech in Ottawa in 1967. Now back at St. Thomas it is a fine example of the restoration that the [Elgin County Railway] museum is undertaking on all its exhibits. Photo courtesy of Keith Sirman."
Black and white photograph showing a London and Port Stanley Railway passenger train, including car 8, travelling south from the L & PS main Port Stanley station on September 1, 1940. Note the residences on the hillside behind the station, some of which remain in existence in 2016. View is looking northwest.