Port Stanley Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
5 photographs : b&w
Scope and Content
Five black and white photographs show scenes of flooding in Port Stanley. (150a) north of the bridge; (150b) north of the bridge; (150c) ice jam; (150d) boat jammed by ice agains bank of river; (150d) "Frank H. Stanley" in January 1929; London & Port Stanley Railway station is visible in the background. Included in Port Stanley Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History Book.
Port Stanley main beach, ca. 1922, looking southeast from Fraser Heights. View includes the London and Port Stanley Railway slip dock, ice house, tracks (with a passing passenger train), beach terminal, cafeteria and bathhouse (constructed 1917). View also includes Hopkins Casino dance hall (constructed 1909 and officially opened on July 1, 1909 under its original name, the Stanley Beach Casino), what may be a dredge operating at the harbour entrance, the west breakwater (pier) and lighthouse, the beach boardwalk, a water slide and elevated raft, and the access point for the incline railway. File includes:
The London and Port Stanley Railway Company (L&PSR) was incorporated by a group of prominent London, Ontario citizens in May 1853. It commenced operations in September 1856. Initially, the railway line proved successful as it generated enough business in Port Stanley, Ontario to result in the construction of a port and other facilities that were regularly visited by American shipping lines. During the summer, the L&PSR became a popular route for city dwellers looking to escape from the heat to the beaches of Lake Erie. Passenger traffic plummeted following the Second World War after reaching a peak of 1.1 million in 1943. The end of gas rationing and more use of the automobile caused the end of passenger service on February 1, 1957. Effective January 1, 1966, the line became part of the Canadian National Railways (CNR). The City of London had traded the line to CNR in exchange for property elsewhere in the municipality.
Donated to London Room likely by the estate of Stanley Shantz of London or was purchased at auction from the estate. Transferred to ECA by London Room.
Scope and Content
Waxed linen drawings of car barns, track switches, car dimensions, power readings and bridge profiles of the London and Port Stanley Railway Company.