Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.
Postcard image ca. 1908 with caption "Fraser Hill, Port Stanley". View includes the Fraser House hotel (opened on May 24, 1871) and lookout gazebo on Fraser Heights, as well as the Incline Railway powerhouse (or hoist house) and tracks. This image pre-dates the extension of the London and Port Stanley Railway tracks to the main beach in Port Stanley in 1897. File includes:
Postcard image produced ca. 1906 from a photograph taken in 1900 showing a north bound Pere Marquette Railway passenger train approaching the main Port Stanley station enroute to St. Thomas and London. View is looking south along the tracks from just north of Bridge Street, Port Stanley. The station house is visible at right (still standing in 2016 and used as its Port Stanley terminus by Port Stanley Terminal Rail) and, in the background, the grain elevator on the west side of Port Stanley harbour is partially visible. The original caption printed on the postcard has been cropped off: "Pere Marquette Depot, Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada". The station house and tracks belonged to the London and Port Stanley Railway, which leased its facilities to the Pere Marquette Railway from 1906 to 1914. File includes:
The London and Port Stanley Railway Company (L&PSR) was incorporated by a group of prominent London, Ontario citizens in May 1853. It commenced operations in September 1856. Initially, the railway line proved successful as it generated enough business in Port Stanley, Ontario to result in the construction of a port and other facilities that were regularly visited by American shipping lines. During the summer, the L&PSR became a popular route for city dwellers looking to escape from the heat to the beaches of Lake Erie. Passenger traffic plummeted following the Second World War after reaching a peak of 1.1 million in 1943. The end of gas rationing and more use of the automobile caused the end of passenger service on February 1, 1957. Effective January 1, 1966, the line became part of the Canadian National Railways (CNR). The City of London had traded the line to CNR in exchange for property elsewhere in the municipality.
Donated to London Room likely by the estate of Stanley Shantz of London or was purchased at auction from the estate. Transferred to ECA by London Room.
Scope and Content
Waxed linen drawings of car barns, track switches, car dimensions, power readings and bridge profiles of the London and Port Stanley Railway Company.
Posted on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter: July 26, 2019.
Published by the Elgin County Engineering Department for their "Bridging for the Future" project: June 2021: Image #20.
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Bridge Street, Port Stanley, Looking East from George Street, ca. 1900. View includes the Franklin House Hotel (on the modern day site of the LCBO), the bridge across the inner harbour (demolished to allow for the construction of the King George VI lift bridge in 1939), the intersection of George and William Streets (foreground), an ice cream parlour (possibly operated by the Bell family) on the modern day site of the Port Stanley Cenotaph, the Ellison House and Colonel Bostwick House (seen in the background on Hillcrest), the Harrick Boarding House on the southeast corner of Beach and Bridge Streets, and the site of the London & Port Stanley Railway Cafeteria prior to its relocation to the main beach in 1897 (see Prothero, "Musings and Memories", p. 226). Note the hydro poles lining the south side of Bridge Street (possibly installed by a contractor named Mitchell) - not yet wired. File includes:
A black and white photograph showing a culvert under the London and Port Stanley Railway in St. Thomas, Ontario, with the caption, "culvert under L.&P.S.Ry. no S' Thomas".
Photograph is part of an album compiled by Henry Roe.
2 black and white photographs of farmland near Port Stanley, with the Lake Erie shoreline in the background. Images are set against a white background, with the caption: "Port Stanley, London (?), Ontario" beneath. Image pre-dates July 1909, when the Stanley Beach Casino (not present here) was opened. View includes London and Port Stanley Railway slip dock and beach extension rail tracks leading to the beach terminal, with two women walking along the tracks; pre-1908 pier or breakwater and lighthouse.
A postcard featuring a colour illustration that depicts the first electric car entering Port Stanley, Ontario on October 29, 1907. It has a Port Stanley, Ontario postmark dated July 29, 1909 and is addressed to Miss Edna Gough at 25 Redan Street in London, Ontario. The reverse has the following message handwritten in pencil:
"Port Stanley / Hello Edna, I almost forgot to write. We are returning home this evening. How is your Pa, trust he is better & at home again. We had a good time. E. Schafer."
Ken Verrell Collection - Michigan Central Railroad records series
0.2 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains miscellaneous tables and chart showing data related to the operation of the Michigan Central Railroad / New York Central Railroad. Includes tables with data regarding coaling chutes and platforms, engine houses, elevators and grain houses, turn tables and pumpers in use. Also contains a table featuring descriptive classification of locomotives and a table with information about the classification of weights on drivers of locomotives.
Fonds consists of approximately 200 file cards with typescript summaries of notices originally published 1902-1918 in the St. Thomas Daily Times, the St. Thomas Evening Journal, London Free Press and other newspapers relating to the Southwestern Traction Company, the London and Lake Erie Railway and Transportation Company, and the London & Port Stanley Railway.